Pigs till Soil and break crust, efficiently saving the player Pickaxes and time spent tilling soil. They can also create compact soil (something the player cannot do without Golden Hoe), which can have Crops grown in it twice before it needs to be tilled again. With Snot Nose, they can create moist soil which causes crops to grow much faster.
Some items cause tilled soil to drop items, such as Seeds or Fertilizer. If pigs uncover these items, they will hold onto them, and be marked by an exclamation point. Running into the pig will pass the items onto the player.
Pigs can be bought, given, or rescued from Camps.
The first area of each Biome may have Camps containing pigs. Clearing a "Farm Animals" camp of Enemies rewards the player with a choice between two farm animals, one of which is sometimes a pig. The "Upgrade" camp, which gives the player a choice between two upgrades when cleared, may offer a Mud Pit, which grants the player three pigs immediately.
The Garden Shop in Town has a small chance to sell pigs in summer for 500 .
At Seasonal Festivals, the Rose Market also has a chance to sell pigs, in exchange for 3 , or the Mud Pit item for 3 . The Mud Pit item may also be offered by romanceable NPCs in exchange for roses. Finally, pigs are a rare prize at the Seasonal Festival Casino.
Depending on the player's Yield Score at the Seasonal Festival, they may be awarded items. One of those items has a chance to be a Farm Animal, with regular farm animals more likely in spring and summer. Upgrades such as Mud Pit are also likely all year round.
Thyme starts with a pig by default.
If the player has the Nasal Spray upgrade, pigs can dig up Truffles while tilling soil. These must be collected by walking over them or by using the harvest circle, and sell for 200 each.
- Burrowed Butterfly: Pigs will create explosive butterflies when they break crust or till soil.
- Carrot Tractor: Energizes all friends when used, among other effects.
- Doveotee: Pigs and other friends become energised when the player uses a Scroll
- Disco Ball: Pigs and other friends become energised whenever the player is.
- Fat Grub: Tilling soil sometimes drops Seeds and Fertilizer, which pigs will pick up while working.
- Fume Additive: Pigs and other friends become energised when the player uses a Tractor
- Garden Cry: Pigs and other friends become energised when the player takes damage.
- Heart Beet Monitor: Pigs and other friends are energised whenever the player is at low health.
- Helpful Worm: The worm pickups will be unearthed by pigs as they till, ready for the player to collect.
- Laxative: Pigs and other farm animals periodically drop Fertilizer.
- Mud Pit: The player instantly obtains 3 pigs on receiving this item.
- Nasal Spray: Pigs and hogs can find Truffles while tilling.
- Pig Wings: Pigs and hogs move and work faster.
- Snot Nose: Soil tilled by pigs and hogs is moist soil, which grows crops faster.
- Soft Fur: Pigs and other farm animals become energised when the player walks into them.
- Straw Megaphone: Scarecrows can sometimes energize any pigs or other friends close to them.
- Swine Turret Tumors: Pigs and hogs have Turrets on their backs.
- Zealot: Pigs and other friends may become energized when an Enemy is killed.