Hogs till Soil and break crust, efficiently saving the player Pickaxes and time spent tilling soil. They can also create compact soil (something the player cannot do without Golden Hoe), which can have Crops grown in it twice before it needs to be tilled again. With Snot Nose, they can create moist soil which causes crops to grow much faster. Unlike pigs, hogs will charge at enemies, dealing 100 damage per hit and considerably assisting with defending the Farm.
Some items cause tilled soil to drop items, such as Seeds or Fertilizer. If hogs uncover these items, they will hold onto them, and be marked by an exclamation point. Running into the hog will pass the items onto the player.
Hogs can be bought, given, or rescued from Camps.
The second area of each Biome may have Camps containing hogs. One is the "Farm Animals" camp, where clearing the Enemies from the camp rewards the player with a choice between two farm animals. The other type is the "Corral" camp: clearing the enemies will grant the player all the animals inside the corral, which may include a hog.
The Garden Shop in Town has a small chance to sell hogs in fall and winter, for 1600 or 2500 depending on the Season.
At Seasonal Festivals, the Rose Market also has a chance to sell hogs, in exchange for 4 . They are also a rare prize at the Seasonal Festival Casino.
Depending on the player's Yield Score at the Seasonal Festival, they may be awarded items. One of those items has a chance to be a Farm Animal, with a higher chance of gaining an upgraded Farm Animal in fall and winter.
If the player has the Nasal Spray upgrade, hogs can dig up Truffles while tilling soil. These must be collected by walking over them or by using the harvest circle, and sell for 200 each.
- Burrowed Butterfly: Hogs will create explosive butterflies when they break crust or till soil.
- Carrot Tractor: Energizes all friends when used, among other effects.
- Doveotee: Friends become energised when the player uses a Scroll
- Disco Ball: Hogs and other friends become energised whenever the player is.
- Fat Grub: Tilling soil sometimes drops Seeds and Fertilizer, which hogs will pick up while working.
- Fume Additive: Hogs and other friends become energised when the player uses a Tractor
- Garden Cry: Hogs and other friends become energised when the player takes damage.
- Heart Beet Monitor: Hogs and other friends are energised whenever the player is at low health.
- Helpful Worm: The worm pickups will be unearthed by hogs as they till, ready for the player to collect.
- Laxative: Hogs and other farm animals periodically drop Fertilizer.
- Nasal Spray: Pigs and hogs can find Truffles while tilling.
- Pig Wings: Pigs and hogs move and work faster.
- Snot Nose: Soil tilled by pigs and hogs is moist soil, which grows crops faster.
- Soft Fur: Hogs and other farm animals become energised when the player walks into them.
- Straw Megaphone: Scarecrows can sometimes energize any hogs or other friends close to them.
- Swine Turret Tumors: Pigs and hogs have Turrets on their backs.
- Zealot: Hogs and other friends may become energized when an Enemy is killed.