|This article is about the crop. For the upgrade, see Heart Beet (Item).|
The Heart Beet is a unique Crop which restores the player's Health when harvested.
Heart Beets do not exist as physical crops, and cannot be sold or traded for items. Instead, they are used to represent the player's health in the UI with, and deplete when damage is taken. Empty slots are replenished by harvesting fully-grown Heart Beet crops. Normal Heart Beet crops restore the player's health by 1, while Heart Beet Megacrops restore 5.
The total number of slots cannot be increased by harvesting Heart Beets alone. However, fully fertilizing a Heart Beat crop will grant a Heart Sprout on harvest (2 for a fully-fertilized Megacrop). Collecting four Heart Sprouts will add one extra Heart Beet to the player's total health.
Finding Heart Beet Seeds
Heart Beets must be grown and harvested to obtain their effects.
The following actions have a chance of dropping a Heart Beet seed:
- Killing an Enemy (rare)
- Using the Flying Squirrels or having the Squirrel Pocket upgrade (rare)
- Cutting Weeds (rare)
- Taking damage, provided that the player has more than 0% Beet Drop stats
- Clearing a Bulb Camp
- Defeating a Tree Guardian
The greater the player's Luck stat, the greater the chance of finding Heart Beet seeds with these methods.
The following actions guarantee a Heart Beet seed:
- Defeating a Boss
- Reaching at least the "Full" yield level at a Seasonal Festival
- Clearing a Fat Worm Camp
- Picking up the Defibrillators upgrade
- Picking up the Heart Beet (Item) (4 seeds)
- Purchasing in Town for the starting cost of 1 Rose, once per day. The price increases with each Heart Beet seed bought in this way.
- Picking up the Heart Beet Keikis upgrade (4 x each Heart Beet lost)
- Harvesting the first four Aloe Megacrops after obtaining Waterchris's Wedding Ring
Fertilization and Megacrop Variant
Fertilizing 4 Heart Beets spawns a megacrop that heals 5 Heart Beets instead of 4.
Finding Heart Sprouts
In addition to harvesting a fully-fertilized Heart Beet crop or Megacrop.
- The Historian Ant offers an upgrade which grants 2 Heart Sprouts at the start of a run, provided that you survived until Summer in the previous run.
- Bundit's Foot: Increases the player's Luck, which improves their chance to find heart beet seeds.
- Beet Drop: Increases the player's Beet Drop stat (chance to drop a Heart Beet Seed when hit) by 25%.
- Defibrillators: Gives the player one heart beet seed, in addition to its other effects.
- Heart Beet (Item): Gives the player four heart beet seeds.
- Heart Beet Keikis: Player loses all health but one, but gains 4 heart beet seeds for each slot emptied.
- Succulent Weeds: Increases chance of seed drop from Weeds.
Growing Heart Beets
- Bee: Doubles the growth of the crops it pollinates.
- Defibrillators: Heart Beets grow instantly.
- Growth Aura: Crops in a 5x5 area centered on the player grow much faster.
- Harvest Moon: Crops grow faster at night.
- Hummingbird: Doubles the growth of crops in an area.
- Irrigating Moles: Crops do not need watering.
- Nitro: Crops grow 10x faster but will start to burn when they need water.
- Megaton Tractor: Instantly grows all crops in the deployed area.
- Participation Trophy: Crops will merge without fertilizer.
- Pollination: All crops grow faster. Exclusive to Lavender.
- Snot Nose: Pigs and Hogs create moist Soil, which speeds crop growth.
- Sprinkler Head: Turrets and Scarecrows water the crops adjacent to them.
- Squirt Gun: The player waters crops twice as fast.
- Trophallaxis: Bees and Hummingbirds water crops.
- Turret Growth Aura: Crops in a 5x5 area around Turrets and Scarecrows grow much faster.
- Bubble Shield: Watering crops shields the player from bullets.
- Butterfly Nest: Merging crops into a megacrop spawns some explosive butterflies, which target Enemies.
- Chill Beets: Harvesting heart beets increases day length by 5 seconds (25 for megacrop heart beets).
- Chrono Seeds: Increases day length a small amount per seed planted.
- Companion Planting: Planting multiple crops of the same type near each other drops fertilizer.
- Double-Edged Watering Can: The player can water two crops at once.
- Harvest Shield: Harvesting a crop destroys enemy bullets.
- Hose: The player can water three separate crops at once while energized.
- Root Soldier: Harvesting crops spawns a root soldier, which will attack enemies.
- Water Witching: Watering crops zaps nearby enemies for 50% of their health.
Megacrop heart beets are able to count towards the "Roll Call" Achievement.