Chickens wander the farm, eating Weeds and other debris, enabling the player to plant Crops or break crust more easily. They also lay Eggs, making chickens and turkeys the only farm animals which do not need an Item to create sellable produce.
Weeds sometimes drop Seeds or Fertilizer when cut, made more likely if the player has Succulent Weeds. If chickens uncover these items, they will hold onto them, and be marked by an exclamation point. Running into the chicken will pass the items onto the player.
Chickens can be bought, given, or rescued from Camps.
The first area of each Biome may have Camps containing chickens. Clearing a "Farm Animals" camp of Enemies rewards the player with a choice between two farm animals, one of which is sometimes a chicken. The "Upgrade" camp, which gives the player a choice between two upgrades when cleared, may offer an Egg Carton, which grants the player three chickens immediately.
The Garden Shop in Town has a small chance to sell chickens in summer for 200 .
At Seasonal Festivals, the Rose Market also has a chance to sell chickens, in exchange for 2 , making them the cheapest farm animal to buy in the game. The Egg Carton item, worth three chickens, sometimes sells for 3 , but the chance of it appearing is much lower due to the number of different upgrades available. The Egg Carton item may also be offered by romanceable NPCs in exchange for roses.
Finally, chickens are a rare prize at the Seasonal Festival Casino.
Depending on the player's Yield Score at the Seasonal Festival, they may be awarded items. One of those items has a chance to be a Farm Animal, with regular farm animals more likely in spring and summer. Upgrades such as Egg Carton are also possible all year round.
Chickens lay Eggs by default, which sell for 10 each, and appear on the ground around the farm. Eggs can be picked up by walking over them or using the harvest circle.
If the player has the Spring Chicken upgrade, chickens may turn Weeds into Flowers, worth between 5 and 20 , with purple flowers being the most valuable.
- Avian Placenta: Eggs drop Fertilizer when picked up.
- Carrot Tractor: Energizes all friends when used, among other effects.
- Chicken Caliochory: Eggs drop a Seed when picked up.
- Chrono Weeds: Adds a tiny amount of time to the day each time a weed is destroyed, including by chickens.
- Doveotee: Chickens and other friends become energised when the player uses a Scroll.
- Disco Ball: Chickens and other friends become energised whenever the player is.
- Egg Carton: The player instantly obtains 3 chickens on receiving this item.
- Fertile Eggs: Every chicken egg the player picks up has a chance of hatching into a new chicken.
- Fume Additive: Chickens and other friends become energised when the player uses a Tractor.
- Garden Cry: Chickens and other friends become energised when the player takes damage.
- Heart Beet Monitor: Chickens and other friends are energised whenever the player is at low health.
- Laxative: Chickens and other farm animals periodically drop Fertilizer.
- Psychoactive Weeds: Weeds eaten by chickens will leave a pickup in their place, ready for the player to collect.
- Razor Weeds: When chickens eat weeds, they will deal 120 damage to nearby Enemies.
- Soft Fur: Chickens and other farm animals become energised when the player walks into them.
- Spring Chicken: Chickens have a 50% chance of turning the weeds they eat into Flowers instead.
- Straw Megaphone: Scarecrows can sometimes energize any chickens or other friends close to them.
- Vinaigrette: Every weed removed earns the player 2 , including weeds eaten by chickens.
- Zealot: A chicken or another friend may become energized when an Enemy is killed.